Sunday, July 17, 2011

The butterfly effect


Have you heard of the butterfly effect?

This theory asks the question: if a butterfly flutters its wings in one part of the world, say Puyallup,
will that flutter change the weather in another part of the world, let's say Cerro de Oro.

In other words, can one small action make a lasting and growing change?
and in turn cause more and larger changes?

I believe in the butterfly effect. The world shows us all kinds of examples.
cancer starts with one or two cells mutating and spreading throughout  the body.
a riot on one side of the world is started by the burning of a said holy book on the other.

The bible also gives us examples

One bite of an apple send mankind into a tailspin of sin
A mother gives up her baby in a basket and he grows up to free a nation
A small shepherd boy slings a stone and drops a giant and his warrior sword
One boy bringing a lunch of fish and bread, watches it feed 5000

Jesus referred to the butterfly effect, though not in those words.
The faith of a mustard seed (Luke 17:5,6)

I believe in the "short term missionary effect", which asks the question:
Can one willing person doing a small act of service in Cerro de Oro change the world ?

I believe in fixing toilets, I believe in mixing concrete, I believe in staying  up all night talking to someone about
my faith
I believe in hugging one child. I believe in becoming a human jungle gym for children so they know I love them because Jesus first loved me.

I believe in singing one song, giving one testimony, spending one day at a place of pagan worship praying down the darkness it has gripped the place with.

I believe one dollar a day can give a child an education and save his life

I believe one small group of people praying in Puyallup Washington can break down strongholds of oppression in Guatemala.

I believe that one team from High Pointe Community Church can build a home and change a life forever.

I believe in a big God, a Holy God that uses the small foolish things to change the world.

It's morning in Guatemala city. This morning our team, our small team will drop a stone in a lake of Guatemala and watch a big God use it to ripple change across the world.


fyi; this post is a re-adaptation of a devotion I read several years ago. The thoughts are mine. The original structure and idea are not. It effected me enough that it has suck with me. I am sorry I do not remember the book or author, but I also do not want credit for it. I adapted it to our trip





1 comment:

  1. Might well be your best post B. You have a way with words that compels me to pray even harder than I already am and find a way to make sure I am on the team again next year!!

    ReplyDelete